Saturday, September 5, 2009

hills and valleys and the spaces in-between

After a string of very successful viral videos being posted online, yesterday I decided to post something a little more...risky. I had played it safe with the past few videos but wanted to take a more critical turn with the newest one. At first the response was very positive, but as the video was exposed to the rest of the internet throughout today the response soon began to collapse into more negative responses which nearly spiraled into complete and utter disarray.

I won't lie, my first impulse was to jump in and start responding to what people were saying. After the initial shock and realization that the internet can work both ways towards total strangers, I began to revel in what was happening: a character was being created. What began as a viral acting project has become something of a social experiment.

I'm starting to really reminisce about my theatre theory lectures from school. All that talk about Brecht and how he really wanted to jolt the audience; to pull them out of experiences and challenge them sort of draws some parallels to the last video I uploaded. I never thought I'd be referencing German playwrights and alienation effects when talking about the viral videos for LAN'ded, but hey, it all comes around right?

Thing A Days have been trickling in daily like a train late for arrival. I seem to be getting most of my inspiration late in the day which is odd because at the beginning of this exercise I would wake up and immediately prompt myself with an idea. There's one T.A.D. that I keep coming back to called "Algorithm." I don't know why but it just feels right, but not finished. Hopefully I can become satisfied enough with it soon and post it.

I shipped a good portion of my supplies/belongings back to my permanent residence today. It's crazy what I actually consider props nowadays. You'd think an destroyed DVD box of Macauley Culkin's "The Pagemaster" would warrant being trash, but not on my watch. I'm also giving Wally (from LAN'ded) a home. He deserves a place to rest, and not a suitcase, so I'll be his owner.

I feel it is my moral duty to go see "Gamer" this week. Seeing as how one of my main goals is to merge geek culture and the arts, I think supporting a cinematic happening titled "Gamer" just works. Sure, it's not a song-and-dance flick, but we all gotta start somewhere. Personally, I think anamanaguchi gets it right.

Only 3 more days of singing and dancing here in New Hampshire, which equates to about 21 shows left. Let's see if the mountains up here inspire any cool T.A.D.s before I fly on back home...

"plug in baby" - muse

No comments: