Tuesday, August 11, 2009

cracking wise.

Being a recently graduated and poor actor floating around the country, I've had a lot of time to think about my career and where it is going. I know my calling is theatre but what specific facet of performing is yet to be determined. Interactive media has always been a big part of my life, as well as science-fiction and comic books. Because of this, I figured that the locations chosen for my web-site photo shoot should mainly be arcades and places that I can call home. My good friend and photographer buddy Derek Fitting generously volunteered to take some simple snapshots of me in my native environments and suggested that we hit up some not-so-common places for Kodak moments.

New Hampshire is actually rife with arcades and so the possible locations to shoot at were quite varied and debated upon. It was decided that FunSpot would be the best place to start, and why not? After all, this was the very same arcade that Steve Wiebe attained his Donkey Kong world record a few years previous. Needless to say, I soaked it all in. Where else can you find vintage arcades machines like TRON or The Real Ghostbusters? I dropped quarters like they were candy into the mouths of the hungry arcade cabinets only to be rewarded with a few high scores and continue countdowns screaming at me for another go.

Not having professional headshots yet and knowing that these photos were going to be used mainly for my website, I wanted these pics to be fun and so we attempted to make them as unique and varied as possible. I posed with Pole Position, Defender, several pinball machines, and Double Dragon. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I'd be posing with Billy and Jimmy Lee but hey, time makes fools of us all. I'm sure I can use most, if not all, of the pictures taken in some way shape or form.

In other news, I've formally begun work on my cabaret. I've tentatively titled it "save points" because I figure I'll be hitting some major checkpoints in my life during the course of the show. Once I get it on its feet, you can expect some JoCo, Nobuo Uematsu, Sam Hart, and some more contemporary Broadway musicals to make appearances. I'm excited for this project. I am aiming at having it finished by November and hopefully getting it performed sometime in December. I would really love to have one performance of it where I take donations for Child's Play. I think it is time that more gamers give back. After all, we can spend $150-$250 on prestige editions of games and Rock Band bundles, so what is a few bucks here and there towards kids who really need the support?

Also, I almost fell head-first into a waterfall today. I never said my life wasn't uneventful.

"boxing" - ben folds

No comments: